FUT is one of the methods of hair restoration surgery. The best FUT hair transplant method includes dissection of patient’s hair follicles from a strip taken out with minimal invasive surgery from the donor area (back of scalp) and transplanting them in the bald area in naturally occurring groups of 1 to 4 hairs, termed as follicular units. FUT is one of the effective though old methods of hair transplantation is used in our clinics in Delhi, Kolkata and Manipur.
How Orange Tree performs FUT
- The technique involves surgical removal of donor hair strip from the back of the scalp. The size of the strip depends upon the number of the grafts to be implanted.
- The strip is taken out by an experienced surgeon under local anesthesia (to make the area numb), the wound is then sutured which takes about 7-10 days for healing. A scar is left which is covered by the hair and concealed under the folds of the skin and is not visible. in our centre we do a trichophytic donor closure technique so that the linear donor area scar is least visible.
- The strip is kept in chilled saline. Slivering is done under high magnification.
- The grafts are then dissected out of the scalp strip slivers containing 1-4 hair follicles depending upon the area of transplant.
- The dissection and separation of follicles is done by the trained and experienced team members under the microscope so that the follicles are not cut or destroyed while separating from the tissue.
- Grafts containing 1,2,3 or 4 follicles are segregated and are placed on chilled saline to keep them alive before transplant.
- Random slits are made in the recipient area using 18,19 and 20 gauge needles keeping the hairline irregular for a natural look.
- Hairline is created using grafts with single follicle to give a natural look, behind them grafts with two follicles are implanted; and for denser look in the central region grafts with 3-4 follicles (sometimes even 5) are implanted in the slits.
- Patients are advised not to smoke and avoid few medicines (as per the surgeon’s suggestion) or scratch their scalp.
- It is a walk in and walk out procedure and takes about 3-8 hours depending upon the number of grafts to be transplanted.
- About 4000 grafts can be transplanted in a day. If more grafts are required then rest of the grafts can be given using FUE method.
- Head wash is given to the patient on 3rd day in the clinic and stitches are removed on the 10th day of transplant.
- Patient is advised to come for a follow up after one, three, six and 12 months of surgery.
- The results of this method can be compared with FUE and are excellent except for the minimal invasive surgery.
- The expertise of the surgeon makes the transplant look natural with a natural hairline, good density and right direction of transplanted hair.